There are only 17 families living in Kamiebiike Village. Most of them still maintain traditional way of farming as part of their lifestyle and immerse themselves in the nature. Yamakiwa Gallery wants to be the place where visitors can get inspired by such a historical and slow process of life and art.
- Yamakiwa Gallery is a Gallery by day, a Hotel by night. It is an artist-run initiative based in a traditional farmhouse in a small village, Kamiebiike Village, deep in the mountain region of Niigata, Japan. It has been hosting artist residency programmes, art exhibitions featuring artists in Japan and around the world and visitor accommodations. It aims to establish close connection between art and life within its setting as a ‘house’ and brings through direct and indirect cooperation among the artists, visitors and local residents.
The gallery’s building is 100 years old and maintains features of traditional farmer house in the region, such as high ceiling in the reception room or fireplace for family to gather around. The refurbishment of some facilities was done by Yamakiwa themselves but didn’t involve any changes to the original structure so to keep the essence of the old life style.
- See also wonderful reviews on Airbnb.
- There is only 1 room with 3 beds in the house. When we arranged the accommodation, we would make sure people of same sex with stay in one room.
- 1 bathroom and 1 shower which are separated and shared with Yuri, the tour guide and Yan, the helper.
- Wifi available.
- This grand house was renovated recently with modern comforts but keeps the original structure as a Japanese traditional farmer house.
- The house consists of 3 large rooms where we will house maximum 5 people.
- 1 bathroom and 1 shower which are separated and shared among 5 guests.
- Wifi not available but you can always use the wifi in the living room of Yamakiwa Gallery.
- Laundry service is not included as part of the tour. Laundry is, however, possible as a self-service. Guests will only be allowed to use normal cycle which runs about an hour, so other guests can use the washing machine too. JPY 1000 per load. 2 washing machines available.